Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 1: It starts...



 I made it! Was there ever any doubt? From me there certainly was. I have just completed a full day of flying, navigating airports, touring the city from a bus (though sadly not a double-decker), touring the AMAZING Windsor Castle, and adventuring near our hotel. At this point I have been up for approximately 35 hours so excuse any typos you may find. I spent Saturday doing hard labor by helping to move a professor to his new home, only to be then forwarded to also help the President move as well (Chadron State College President, don’t worry though I would gladly help the actual president move from his current residence). I used that night to pack my final things and left for the airport early Saturday morning. My entire Saturday was spent flying and we arrived in London at 8am local time-meaning yet another full day ahead. But no more complaining- the London life has quickly filled me with energy! I have spent about 12 hours here and I am absolutely in love. 

We went straight from the airport right into touring Windsor castle, a castle started in 1066 and is now the greatest/only living castle today. The Queen likes to spend her weekends here. The enormity of this place was breathtaking- and so were the strict rules about no photography so I am sorry for not being able to show you. Although I did get a photo of Queen Mary’s Doll House before I noticed the 'no photography' signs.
This dollhouse was created for her as a present because she enjoyed collecting miniature things. This dollhouse has working plumbing, its dinning room tableware is made of solid pieces of sliver, and it even has its own miniature crown jewels. It was beautiful to look at, but much like everything else in the castle, it seemed officially overboard. I know this is an easy opinion for an American to have because we are not use to royalty, but as I stared at walls trimmed in gold paint and the hundreds of jewels that are sewn into unused dresses and armor, I couldn’t help but think of the homeless guy I saw near the airport terminal. I still highly recommend anyone who has the chance to tour the Windsor castle, it is literally the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. 

 Castle courtyard. It was HUGE. 
 Royal guards were all over the castle guarding Her Majesty's items. 

Our tour of the castle was followed by a walk to Eton College. Eton is one of, if not the, most famous school in England. It is a prestigious school for boys aged 12-18. These boys wear slacks and ties to class everyday, underneath the traditional black robe. The definitely put us Chadron-er to shame, most of us wore sweats to come to another country. It was very curious to see 13 year-olds walking through the streets carrying physics books and such. I know this isn’t very educational to you readers, but I don’t actually know much about Eton. It is called Eton college, however from my understanding it is just a extremely prestigious high school (and does not provide college degrees), because our guide mentioned that after Eton students typically attend Oxford or Cambridge when they are done. Anyway, it was cool to see.

Our tour then moved to the coach bus where we drove around London trying to find our hotel. It was awesome, but awe-inspiring because of the pure mass of the city. We have so many turns and curves and stops that I knew I will never be able to venture very fair from the hotel without getting lost. It is truly amazing to look up at the buildings next to you and see the beauty and craftsmanship in each of them, not to mention the many that are pre-WWII and survived the bombings. It was so awesome. We were then unloaded at our hotel, the Royal National, then toured near-by stores and shops to know what is available to us. Multiple pubs and a sushi bar will most likely be my home away from home (away from home). I am already content with the idea of someday living in London, as long as I will never have to drive or maneuver the roads. They are INSANE. And that has been my day. After adventuring into the area, I returned to battle it out with the hotel’s extremely slow lobby internet and update you all. It has been an extremely fun-filled, LONG day and I am ready to pass out, if only the internet would let me post this. Tomorrow we start again bright and early to visit the Magistrate of the criminal court. Pretty exciting huh? I leave you with my hotel bathroom. I thought it may be a foot bath. Dr. Nobiling thought perhaps it was suppose to be a bidet but the spouts are pointing the wrong way for that. Foot bath or urinal, that is for you to decide. Night erreybody!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment